1. You want to give birth normally, without the use of medication or unnecessary interventions.
2. You want someone who is experienced and trained to help manage your labor pain. (Epidurals are not administered immediately and sometimes do not work properly.)
3. You've heard about the research on doulas and want the benefit of having one present.
4. You want someone knowledgeable present at all times to ask questions and explain your options. (The nurses and doctors will be in and out of the room.)
5. You want someone to act as an advocate for your and your partner's wishes.
6. You've experienced a traumatic or negative birth with prior children.
7. You're a single mother or your partner is out of town (for example in the military service).
8. You're trying for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cecarean).
9. You want someone present who can provide physical or emotional support, if the father cannot be present or participate for religious reasons.
10. You want someone to help the father participate more fully in the birth, to take pictures or video, and to deal with family and friends.
**This list is from Rachel Gurevich's The Doula Advantage, links have been added by the Doula Group of Evansville.**
Looking for a doula in the Evansville area? We're here for you!